- 11:05 – 11:25
Volkswagen Group – Power Electronics In-House Development
Volkswagen Group Components with its more than 70.000 employees in over 60 factories worldwide is one of the biggest Tier 1 suppliers in the world – a hidden gem under the roof of the Volkswagen Group. With our dedication to developing the key parts of power electronics in-house – down to the level of semiconductor specification – we will enhance our product portfolio, change supply chains sustainably and disrupt automotive electronics’ products and processes.
This keynote will give an insight into the future journey of Volkswagen Group Components by outlining the technical approach of our next generation inverter platform. The motivation behind the increased development depth will be highlighted and the importance of strong and new ways of collaboration between all players in the automotive value chain will be shown. We create future mobility – for generations to come.
- For more than 20 years employed at Volkswagen Group
- Since 2020 – Head of Development E-Drive, Power Electronics & Transmission
- 2019-2020 – Head of Planning- & Development Steering of the Business Unit Transmission & E-Drive
- Until 2019 – several national and international managing positions in the development environment (e.g. China)
- Dipl. Ing. Electrical Engineering (University Kassel and University of Massachusetts Dartmouth)
- Member of the Board with the FVA and VDE GMM
As group-wide „Powerhouse“ of Volkswagen, the group resort Technology with its business units is responsible for the core transformation-topics “battery”, “charging and energy”, and “components”. It shapes the development and production of strategic components for the car-manufacturing brands of the group and with its “platform business” also for OEMs outside the Volkswagen Group. As an independent company inside the group resort Technology, Volkswagen Group Components employs 70.000 employees in more than 60 factories worldwide. They provide a valuable contribution for the Volkswagen Group, its brands and products. Thomas Schmall is the board member for the group resort Technology and CEO of Volkswagen Group Components.View Full Profile